Do I need an Energy Performance Certificate for my Commercial Property?

Energy efficiency rating sticker in a window

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC), rates how energy efficient a building is using a rating system of A-G (A being the most efficient a building can be). In most circumstances, an EPC will be required but there are exceptions to this.

When do I need an EPC?

You must have an EPC in the following circumstances:

  • You are selling or renting out the premises
  • A building under construction is finished
  • There are changes to the number of parts used for separate occupation and these changes involve providing or extending fixed heating, air conditioning or mechanical ventilation systems.

When would I be exempt from needing an EPC?

An EPC is not required if you can show that the premises is any one of the following:

  • A listed building
  • A temporary building which will only be used for two years or less
  • A premises for place of worship/religious activities
  • An industrial site, workshop or non-residential agricultural building that does not use much energy
  • A premises due to be demolished by the seller or landlord (all relevant planning and conservation consents much be held)
  • A detached premises with a floor space of under 50 metres

What will happen if I do not have an EPC when one is necessary?

If you do not have an EPC or make the EPC available to any prospective buyer or tenant, then you could be fined between £500.00 and £5,000 based on the rateable value of the property.

How can Askews help you?

We have a team of experience commercial solicitors and lawyers who can assist with any commercial property issues. For further advice or to obtain a quote, please contact Kuljeet Sandhu, Head of Commercial Property at Askews Legal LLP.
E: | T: 024 76 231000